Thursday, 13 August 2026

... in a close potential future ...

Incorporated with DeepSeek

 # Sirocco

The heat came off the Vieux-Port in waves that made the air shimmer like bad AR. I kept the shutters of *Le Fanal* three-quarters down and the interior at a criminal thirty-one degrees, because the grid was rationed and I didn't need the CRS kicking in my door for running the AC. Outside, Marseille roasted at fifty-two. Inside, it only felt like a fever.

My name is Vivre. It was a tag, then a callsign, then a file number. Now it was painted in small letters above the mirror behind my bar, next to a bullet hole from the last time someone tried to collect protection money.

I don't smoke cigarettes. Cigarettes are for men who want to die on a schedule. I smoke weed, because the world is loud and I don't like it. The Legion tested me every Saturday. The whole barracks came back positive for something—stimulants, sedatives, cheap synthahol. Mine came back positive only for weed. They never found my stash. It was in a sealed compartment behind my left cybernetic calf, under a layer of synth-skin that never sweated. The scanners looked for bombs, not for a man's little peace.

The news feed on the wall showed Germany burning. Not just from the heat—though Berlin had hit forty-nine and the Spree had turned to warm green soup—but from the drug. They called it Sirocco. The chyron read: *DROGENKRIEG: 17 TOTE IN HAMBURG.* The footage showed riot police in cooling suits dragging bodies out of a shelter. The dead had smiles frozen on their faces, core temperatures over forty-four. Sirocco did that: it made the heat feel like sex, then cooked you from the inside. And it moved through Marseille.

The door chimed. A boy in Legion dress walked in. He was young, maybe twenty, with sunburned skin and the kind of muscles that came from basic training and fear. He had a duffel bag and a datajack behind his ear, the cheap military model. He looked around like he'd been told the place would be friendly. It wasn't.

Bako, the troll I paid in cold beer and no questions, unfolded from his stool by the door. He looked at the boy and then at me. I nodded.

"You're Vivre?" the boy asked.

"I'm the landlord."

"They told me you'd have a bed and a rule."

"The rule is you don't leave this block after midnight. The heat kills, and so does everything else."

He nodded. "They told me about you. You're the one who shit in the Puma."

I wiped a glass. "The rotor wash was blowing sand into the tents. I made a complaint."

He almost laughed. I put him in the back room with the cots and the old Legion posters and a fan that moved hot air from one side of the room to the other.

That was how the officers worked. They dropped soldiers there—young ones, broken ones, ones on leave who needed a place that wouldn't ask questions. The Legion had given me a 500,000-nuyen interest-free loan and the lease on this pub after the police nationale called about the three drug dealers and two of their own officers I'd put in the hospital in Noailles. It wasn't generosity. It was a leash. The officers said, "We'll drop soldiers there." They did. I ran a kennel for government dogs and listened to the walls. In return, I stayed out of prison.

I had been a shit soldier. No other had done as many undisciplined actions as me. In Chad, instead of filing a complaint about the rotor wash blowing sand into the tents, I'd climbed onto a Puma at night and left a turd in the pilot's seat. In the general's office in Nîmes, I'd sprayed *VIVE LA FRANCE* above his silk flag and signed it *VIVRE*. That got me banned from the July ceremony on the Champs-Élysées—the fourteenth, not the American Fourth; the Legion didn't care about the date. In Marseille, I'd painted a whole TGV overnight with *ENROLEZ!* and left my ID number on the last carriage. They never found out how I got in or out. They still don't know. Some things you learn in the Legion, and some things you just are.

That first night, the boy stayed. I didn't hear him leave, which meant he was good or he was waiting. I sat behind the bar and listened to the city groan. Around two in the morning, the door opened again.

Commissaire Nadia Benali wore a long coat despite the heat, because she carried a badge and a pistol and didn't want to be profiled by the drones. Her hair was pulled back so tight it looked painful. Her eyes had the hollow look of someone who had seen the inside of a morgue drawer.

"Vivre."

"Commissaire."

She ordered water. I gave her a glass of condensation from the cooler. She looked at the news feed. "You still don't smoke cigarettes."

"Only the good stuff."

She didn't sit. She slid a photo across the bar. A dead young man in Legion fatigues, his face a mask of joy. "Found in a container this morning. Core temp forty-five. He had a matchbook from your pub in his pocket."

I looked at the photo. The face was vaguely familiar. Another one they'd dropped, two weeks ago. He'd had too many questions and a habit of staring at the door.

"Sirocco," she said. "It's coming through your neighborhood. The Hanseatic crew from Hamburg has a new supply line. They move the precursor through Marseille, then the final product goes north in climate-controlled containers labeled as olive oil. Your old friends at the port have been paid to look the other way."

"I don't have friends at the port."

"You have debts. And the soldiers you house hear things. One of them was on the line."

I pushed the photo back. "Not my problem."

Benali leaned on the bar. "The people who killed him will come here. He told them about this place. They'll want to know who else knows."

"Then I'll give them a bed and a rule."

She didn't smile. "You beat two police officers half to death last year. I can make that go away, or I can make it come back. Help me, and the file stays buried. Don't, and the next call to the Legion will be about you."

She left the photo and walked out into the heat.

I checked on the boy. He was awake, sitting on the cot with a data chip in his hand.

"Who's that?" he asked.

"Someone who thinks I owe her."

"Capitaine Marceau said to give you this if anything happened." He held out the chip. "He said you'd know what to do."

I took it. It was encrypted, Legion-grade. I didn't ask what was on it.

By morning, the heat had not broken. The city was a kiln. Water tankers moved through the streets under police escort, and the air smelled of wildfire from the hills above Luminy. I went to see Petite, a dwarven decker who ran a repair shop in a basement near La Joliette. She had a fan pointed at her rig and three cats that looked like they'd seen combat.

"Vivre," she said without turning. "You still owe me for the last data pull."

"Add it to the tab."

She pulled the chip, slotted it, and her eyes went distant as she swam the Matrix. After a while, she said, "Container CSCU-7784. Arrives tonight, dock 17. Manifest says olive oil, but the weight is wrong. The shipping line is a Saeder-Krupp shell. Payments come from a Herr Voss in Hamburg and a local crew called Les Cargos. They're not cargo."

"They're the ones who beat my soldier."

"Maybe. But there's a cold-room warehouse near the port. It runs on stolen geothermal power. That's where they cut the Sirocco. And Vivre—there's a mage on the payroll. I can feel the astral signature from here. This isn't a gang hit. It's corporate."

I took the chip back. "Send me the address."

"You're going alone?"

"I'm not going to a party."

She shook her head. "You're the only man I know who'd walk into a freezer with a mage inside and call it Tuesday."

I didn't answer. I went back to the pub and locked the boy in the cellar with Bako and a bottle of water. "If I'm not back by dawn, call the Capitaine and tell him his leash broke."

Then I went to the port.

The docks at night were a maze of rust and heat lightning. The sea had retreated from the old quays, leaving a smell of dead algae and diesel. The container stacks glowed with security drones and the occasional searchlight. I moved through them like a ghost. That was the thing the Legion never understood. I wasn't undisciplined. I was disciplined in a way their forms couldn't measure. The TGV had no cameras that caught me because I didn't move like a man. I moved like heat over metal.

The cold-room warehouse was a low concrete building with a roof covered in solar film and a door that opened with a hiss of refrigerated air. Inside, the temperature dropped forty degrees. My cybernetic arm didn't feel it. My lungs did. The floor was slick with frost, and the lights were dim blue. Pallets of vials stood in rows, and in the center, a man in a white coat was mixing something that shimmered. A mage. He had a fire spirit coiled near the ceiling, a heat shimmer that watched me like a desert cat.

I didn't give him time to speak. I crossed the room and put my ceramic fist through his sternum. The spirit screamed and unraveled, leaving a smell of ozone and scorched sugar.

Then the gang came.

They had guns and blades and one cybered troll with arms like industrial presses. I took the first one's rifle and broke his knee with it. The second I shot in the chest. The troll charged, and I slid under his swing, put a round through the back of his knee, and then opened his throat with a shard of frost-covered glass. It wasn't clean. It wasn't supposed to be.

When it was done, I found a shipping manifest and a datapad. The Sirocco wasn't just a drug. It was a weapon. The formula used an awakened desert flower and a heat-suppressant; in high doses, it made people stop feeling pain and start feeling rage. Germany's heatwave riots weren't riots. They were field tests. The Hanseatic crew was pushing it through Marseille, then north.

I tore the lab apart. I poured their precursor into the drains and set the vials to thaw in the heat. Then I painted *VIVRE* on the wall above the mage's body, using a can of spray paint I'd brought from the pub. Not *VIVE LA FRANCE*. Just *VIVRE*.

I walked out into the heat. It was still fifty-two degrees. It felt almost cool.

At dawn, I called Benali. "Container CSCU-7784. It's not olive oil. The mage is dead. The lab is gone. Tell the officers their soldier was killed by a German corp field-testing a drug."

She was quiet. "You didn't have to kill them all."

"They didn't give me a choice."

"There's still a war in Germany. You cut one branch."

"I know."

I hung up and sat behind the bar in the dim light. The news feed showed Hamburg burning. The heat dome over Europe was still rising. The city was still a kiln. I rolled a joint from the stash behind my calf and smoked it in the dark, watching the smoke curl like a spirit.

The boy came up from the cellar. "Is it over?"

"It never is."

He looked at the wall above the mirror, at the small letters: *VIVRE*. "What does it mean?"

"It means I'm still here."

He didn't understand. That was fine. Some things you learn in the Legion, and some things you just are.

I didn't tell him about the officers, or the 500,000-nuyen leash, or the Saturdays when the tests came back positive for only weed. I didn't tell him that the TGV paint had been the same color as the spray can in my hand. I didn't tell him that the general's office had smelled like that cold-room for a second before I'd left.

The heat came off the Vieux-Port in waves. The planet was cooking. Germany was bleeding. And somewhere in Marseille, a soldier's matchbook was still in a morgue drawer.

I finished the joint and watched the sun rise red over the dead sea.

*Vivre*, I thought. Not a name. An order.

 The 500k didn’t buy a pub. It bought a membrane.

*Le Fanal* is the face. Heat bulges against the shutters like a drunk trying to get in. Inside, the bar is a long slab of olive wood, polished by elbows and cheap cigarettes and the greasy hands of dockworkers. The carambolage table sits in the middle of the room like an altar. No pockets. Three balls—one red, one white, one yellow. The cloth is green gone grey at the ends, worn thin where a thousand cue tips have kissed it. Men play for hours. The game isn’t about sinking anything. It’s about collision. You learn that every hit is a conversation, every angle a confession. Food comes from a kitchen smaller than a Legion footlocker: lamb tagine, sardines off the hot plate, bread that blisters your fingers, mint tea poured from a height like a steel thread. Drinks are cold or strong. Some nights there’s music—Amazigh rock, old French punk, desert blues—loud enough to make your ribs hum and your fillings ache. Tourists think it’s a theme bar. Legionnaires think it’s a home. Both are wrong.

At the back, past the toilets that smell of bleach and hash, there is a door. The wall is oxblood, the door is oxblood. The handle is brass, but it doesn’t turn. It just waits. Some people put their hand on it and forget why they came. They turn back to the carambolage and order another drink. Others walk through without breaking stride, like heat through a crack in a kiln. No one explains it. I don’t either. The door is not locked; it is sealed. It lets through the ones who need movement and refuses the ones who need oblivion. It has no patience for tourists.

Behind the door, the air changes. It is cooler, not from machines but from thick stone and geothermal loops that whisper in the walls. The hallway is long, lit by low strips of blue-white LED. The floor is polished concrete, warm underfoot. The walls are bare except for one painted line—white, waist-high, running the length of the house like a datum. A voice comes from nowhere, soft, female, with a Marseille accent and the patience of a librarian. Her name is Nadia, after the commissaire, because I thought it was funny. She is not a person. She is an educational AI, built from a salvaged university daemon and a lot of black-market code. She teaches algebra, Arabic, fluid dynamics, the history of the Paris Commune, the chemistry of fatigue, the poetry of Rimbaud. She does not lecture. She asks questions and waits. The residents study on their own, at their own pace. At night the walls flicker with diagrams, equations, maps of the dead sea.

The rooms are not rooms. They are cells with possibility. Each one holds two or four beds, but the beds do not sit on the floor. They fold up into the wall, hinged and counterweighted, locking flat with a click like a rifle bolt. When the beds are up, the room becomes a smooth rectangular volume, floor marked with lines: a futsal court. One goal at each end, small, metal-framed, nets like fish traps. The ball is heavier than normal, low bounce, made for control. The walls are painted with ghostly players—faded silhouettes of those who came before, mid-shot, mid-sweat, mid-breath.

The backyard is a skatepark. Not the pretty kind. It is a bowl of raw concrete, a few rails, a spine, a ledge. The surface is cracked in places where the heat has warped it, but it is fast. They skate until their knees bleed and their feet blister and their palms are road rash. The sound is rolling thunder under a sky the color of old bone.

The cellar is for squash. Three courts, white walls, tin at the bottom, red lines. The heat doesn’t reach down there. It is cold and dry and smells of rubber and sweat and something like wet chalk. They play until the ball becomes a smear and their lungs taste like copper wire.

Training is harder than the Legion. Not because I am cruel, but because the heat is cruel, and the city is cruel, and the only thing that saves a body from the Sirocco and the street and the slow death of sitting still is movement. I wake them before dawn, before the heat’s first breath, and run them through the calanques, over limestone and through thorn, down to the dead sea and back. Then futsal. Then skate. Then squash. Then study. The drug is movement. Endorphins, runner’s high, the ache of muscles that have been torn and rebuilt. They prefer to pass out from exhaustion, to wake with days of pain in their thighs and shoulders, than to touch the poison that moves through the port. I know this because I gave them the alternative. I gave them a door.

They control the underground coffee shops of Southern France. Not with guns—well, not only with guns. With a network of riders, runners, veterans, and street kids who don’t sleep. The shops are called *La Tasse Souterraine*. They look like normal cafés—espresso, Wi-Fi, old men arguing about football. But behind the counter, there is a list. Names of rich kids from Aix, Nice, Montpellier, Avignon. Kids who think they want Sirocco or betel or synth-hash. When one of them walks in, the barista—usually a former Legion scout or a kid from the quartiers nord who can smell bad intentions—serves a double espresso and makes a phone call. Sometimes to the parents. Sometimes to the police. Sometimes to me.

The rich kids learn fast: you don’t buy hard gear in the south. The coffee shops are the filter. If you’re just curious, they’ll talk to you, feed you, put a skateboard under your feet. If you’re already hooked, they’ll take you to the house, let the door decide. If it lets you through, you run until you forget the craving. If it doesn’t, you get a ride to a clinic and a warning.

The officers thought they bought a kennel. They bought a forge. The pub is the first layer. The carambolage table teaches geometry. The music teaches rhythm. The door teaches intent. Behind it, the house teaches that the body is the only true weapon, and the only true drug is movement.

The whole place is plastic in the old sense: moldable, alive, shaped by pressure.

The heat outside is still fifty-two. Germany is still burning. The Sirocco still moves through the port. But here, in the cool stone behind the oxblood door, the kids run. They fall. They get up. And the balls collide on the table—no pockets, no hiding.

Only angles.