Incorporated with DeepSeek
**Heat Dome Run: Almere to Saint-Denis**
The Heat Dome had parked over the Low Countries like a bad idea that refused to leave. At midnight, Almere was still thirty-four degrees. The old Daimler sat in a dead parking lot, wide body panels ticking as they cooled, tires stretched to 355s, black and sticky on the soft asphalt. Under the Factory Five XTR-inspired pipe frame, the flat-wide generator lay like a coffin lid. The flywheel spun in vacuum, a mechanical secret. The four small-thick motors waited in their cradles, reduction gears oiled, mg² controllers listening.
Vale opened all four windows. The AI’s voice came from the built-in cyberdeck, calm and slightly too interested.
“Good evening, Vale. I am Cicerone. I have mapped a scenic route to Saint-Denis. No tolls, no grid, no highways. Estimated seven hours, fourteen minutes. I will narrate points of interest and record all sensor telemetry. Please observe local speed limits.”
Vale laughed. The car pulled out.
Almere faded behind them. Cicerone logged tire temps, motor winding heat, DC link voltage, flywheel rpm, suspension pressure, outside VOCs, mana background count. The Heat Dome turned the polder into a glass coffin. The wide tires bit and held. The hydropneumatic suspension breathed through pipes hidden in the frame. The car rode ten centimeters higher than it should have, but it cornered like a blade.
“To your left, the Oostvaardersplassen,” Cicerone said. “Once a nature reserve. Now a marsh of illegal gene-crops and drowned drones. The heat has drawn bioluminescent algae. They look like neon blood.”
The four motors whispered. The flywheel charged. The generator hummed. Vale pushed harder. No time for speed limits. The signs were suggestions from a dead century.
At Kampen, a bridge. A go-gang on modified bikes waited, red LEDs, ork faces, chains. They saw the wide body, the silent car. One threw. Vale floored it. The flywheel dumped energy. The Jaguar shot forward. The chain missed. Cicerone said, “I have recorded their facial recognition data. Would you like me to upload it to the local Grid? No? Wise.”
Through Deventer, Zutphen. Old brick, new neon. A corporate patrol drone above. Cicerone spoofed a SIN. The drone hesitated. The car slipped under trees.
At Arnhem, the Rhine shimmered like oil under the Heat Dome. Cicerone said, “The bridge is monitored. I suggest the ferry at Doornenburg. It is closed, but the operator is a dwarf named Harek who owes a favor to someone who owes a favor to you.”
Vale took the ferry. The car rolled onto the steel deck. The river was warm as blood. Harek said nothing. The flywheel spun.
Into Limburg. Maastricht. Caves, smugglers, ghouls. Cicerone narrated, “The Sint-Pietersberg. During the Heat Dome, the caves remain twelve degrees. A luxury. Also a haven for things that do not like the sun.”
Belgium. Liège. Namur. Charleroi. The roads were bad, patched, hot. The wide tires ate them. The suspension floated. The mg² controllers sang, balancing current, shaving peaks, lying to every part about how heavy it was. Cicerone said, “You are exceeding recommended parameters. I have logged this as a poetic deviation. The flywheel is at ninety-two percent. The generator is at seventy-eight. All motors nominal. Tire wear is acceptable.”
Vale didn’t answer. The wind was hot. The night was black. The headlights cut through heat shimmer. The car was a shadow with four electric hearts.
Mons. The border. A checkpoint of Aztechnology drones. Cicerone said, “I have fabricated a diplomatic packet. It will hold for eleven seconds. Please do not stop.”
Vale didn’t stop. The drones scanned. The packet held. The car passed.
France. Valenciennes. The outskirts of Paris. Saint-Denis. The basilica rose in the heat haze, dead kings and living antennas. Cicerone said, “We have arrived. I have recorded 4.7 terabytes of sensor data. Would you like the scenic summary? ‘A hot night, a wide car, a country of ghosts, and a destination that was never the point.’”
Vale parked. The flywheel sighed down. The generator clicked off. The Heat Dome pressed on the roof. She opened the door. The air was still. The AI’s voice followed her out.
“I will keep recording. Sleep well, Vale.”
##
**The Cold Coffin Run**
The AC was set to 19. The passengers wanted cold. Outside, the Heat Dome had turned the M25 into a black artery, shimmering and soft. Inside the limo, it was a winter that cost more than most people’s month.
I was the driver. Independent contractor. That means I owned the car, the debt, and the risk. They owned the contract, the lawyers, and the world.
The car was a 2074 Cadillac Statesman, stretched and wide-bodied, armored like a bank vault and riding on a Factory Five XTR-inspired pipe frame. Under the floor lay the flat-wide generator, a steel pancake turned by a quiet turbine. Behind it, the flywheel spun in vacuum, a mechanical secret. Four small-thick motors sat inboard, spinning through reduction gears to the wheels. Hydropneumatic suspension breathed through pipes hidden in the frame. The mg² controllers whispered across every system, shaving peaks, matching inertia, lying to the motors about how much the armored body weighed.
Cicerone, the built-in LLM, spoke in a calm voice. “Good evening. Route plotted: Canary Wharf to De Rotterdam. Motorways only. Estimated four hours, forty minutes. I will narrate points of interest and record all sensor telemetry.”
I muted the narration. The passengers didn’t notice.
They were three. A woman with chrome eyes and a suit that cost more than my contract. A man with a datajack and a smile like a knife. A bodyguard who said nothing and watched everything. They sat in the back, glass between us, iced water in crystal, talking about a merger that would kill a city.
I picked them up at Canary Wharf. The towers stood in the heat like glass tombstones. Drones buzzed. Orks in security armor waved us through. The woman said, “Rotterdam. De Rotterdam. Don’t stop unless we tell you.”
I didn’t stop.
The M20 was a graveyard of dead lamps and drone shadows. Cicerone logged everything: tire temps, motor currents, flywheel rpm, suspension pressure, my inputs. It was a black box and a witness. I kept my heart rate off the sync.
At Folkestone, the Channel Tunnel concession was a corporate checkpoint. Aztechnology drones scanned the limo. Cicerone fabricated a diplomatic packet. It held for eleven seconds. We rolled onto the shuttle. The passengers never looked up.
Calais. E40. Belgium. Antwerp. The motorway was a hot river of neon and smog. The wide tires ate the road. The suspension floated. The AC hummed. The flywheel charged and discharged. The generator held its note. The mg² controllers made speed feel like a rumor.
I had no time for speed limits, but I had a schedule that made them irrelevant. The limo was a cold coffin doing 180 through a heatwave. The passengers did surgery in the back. I watched the mirrors.
Near Breda, a go-gang tried to pace us. Modified bikes, red LEDs, chains. The bodyguard tapped the glass. I nodded. The flywheel dumped energy. The four motors sang. The limo shot forward like a curse. The bikes fell back. Cicerone said, “I have recorded their faces. Would you like me to upload them to the Grid?”
I said no. The passengers said nothing.
Rotterdam rose out of the Maas at dawn. De Rotterdam—three towers leaning into each other like conspirators. The largest office complex in the city. The corporate tombstone.
We slid into the underground garage. The AC was still at 19. The passengers got out. We had done that run in three hours fifteen. The bodyguard paid me in certified cred. No tip. Cicerone logged the transaction. That was about an hour above 240km/h. Not the personal best, but close.
I sat in the empty back for a minute. The leather was cold. The flywheel spun down. The Heat Dome pressed on the roof. Then I drove away, alone, with the windows still up and the AC still running, because the cold was the only thing I could afford.