Incorporated with DeepSeek
---
The rain in Berlin-Dahlem didn't clean anything. It just moved the grime around, smearing the neon reflections of the AfD-funded "Heritage Shield" drones into greasy puddles on the synth-cobblestone. I was in the basement of a "Protected Cultural Space," a euphemism for a ghetto with better architects. The air tasted of recycled ozone and floor polish, a sterile scent that couldn't quite mask the underlying rot.
My name is Abraham. At least, that's what my forged German ID, my "Resident Alien of Jewish Descent" card, and the chip in my arm said. My real name was a ghost, a piece of shrapnel from a life before the Neukölln Free Corps had "liberated" Palestine and my family had been scattered to the four winds. A refugee boat had fished me out of the Mediterranean, and a clerical error involving a dead man's papers had landed me here, in the heart of the new Reich.
No one knew. Not the stoic, trauma-bonded community members who nodded at me in the synagogue. Not the perpetually anxious social worker assigned to my case. No one except Maria.
"Abraham, look," she whispered, her small finger tracing the air. Her Polish was a rusty, childish thing, but it was the only honest language left in this city. She was a ghost, too, a tourist's daughter who'd gotten separated during a "historical solidarity tour" and swept up in a security cordon. They'd mistaken her for a displaced Jewish child and dumped her into the system. I found her crying in a processing center and told them she was my niece. Another lie. Another layer of my shadow life.
Now, she was the only person who knew the truth. The only one who saw the fear behind my performed piety.
On the cracked screen of my smuggled datapad, the text glowed, a fresh transmission from a source I didn't trust but couldn't ignore. It was a Google AI summary, a corporate ghost in the machine, cheerfully outlining the official plan for "Making Jewish Life Visible."
*Five Core Fields of Action.* It read like a drekking shopping list.
*Data Collection.* My chip itched. They were tracking us. Mapping our "structural biases." Every ritual, every donation, every breath was data.
*Education as Prevention.* I thought of the on.tour mobile exhibition, a slick, armored truck that rolled into schools. It didn't teach history; it curated a safe, pre-packaged tragedy. A tragedy they could point to and say, "Never again... to us. But for the others? We have drones."
*Holocaust Remembrance.* The Stolpersteine, the stumbling stones. I'd walked past them. Little brass squares commemorating deported Jews. Now, they were polished daily, not as a memorial, but as a warning. A warning to the new "undesirables." The AfD had co-opted the memory of the dead to justify the policing of the living.
The fourth pillar was the only one that mattered: *Increasing Security.* A joke. It meant more cameras, more armed guards, more funding funneled through the Central Council of Jews—now a puppet organization that traded its soul for a budget increase. Their HQ was a fortress, and we were the jewels in their display case. Safe, visible, and utterly controlled. The Neukölln Free Corps, the same bastards who'd firebombed my home, were now on the federal payroll, rebranded as "Community Protection Liaisons."
The fifth was the most obscene: *Making Current and Past Jewish Life Visible.* The Jüdische Kulturtage. A festival. Kabbalah-themed raves, vegan kosher food trucks, and avant-garde films about identity. It was a grotesque parody. They wanted our culture, our pain, our joy, stripped of its context and packaged for consumption. A vibrant, non-threatening aesthetic to decorate their ethnostate.
The AI's summary was a perfect, sanitized lie. But the user's appended note, the one I'd intercepted... that was the real kicker.
*"I would like to add that The Germans have to wait until Judaism finally ended evaluating what 'Jewish Life' actually is. You have time, given your learning curve, right? Dshermanzzz... PS: What is the best about eating Vegan Kosha? You save half of your kitchen gear!"*
A joke. A drekking joke. From some anonymous handle. It was the kind of casual, corrosive irony that was everywhere now. The smug superiority of the observer, watching the lab rats scurry. They wanted us to wait until they had finished defining us. They wanted us to perform our identity for their audit. And the punchline? The punchline was the efficiency of it all. A stripped-down, simplified Judaism. Kosher-lite. No messy rules, no inconvenient history. Just a clean, modular identity that fit into the new social architecture.
I felt a cold rage, the kind that had no target. I wasn't even Jewish. I was a Palestinian refugee playing a part, and the part was being defined by people who hated me for both the lie and the truth.
A soft chime from the door. My heart hammered against my ribs. My hand went to the taser I kept under the loose floorboard. The chip in my arm felt like a hot needle.
"Abraham?" Maria's voice was a tiny, fragile thing.
The door slid open. It was Elias, one of the community elders. His face was a mask of permanent sorrow, carved by a history I could only borrow. He was one of the few who seemed genuinely kind.
"Abraham," he said, his voice low. "The audit is tomorrow. They are checking the data points. They are asking for a list of all residents for the new... 'Cultural Visibility' census."
My blood ran cold. The data collection pillar. The assessment. They were going to audit us. To see if we were Jewish enough. If our performance met the metrics.
"We will, of course, comply," Elias said, his eyes hollow. "It is for our safety."
He looked at Maria, who was hiding behind my leg. He gave a weak, sad smile. "She is a blessing. A light."
After he left, I held Maria close. The rain outside had turned to a toxic, acidic sleet, hissing against the armored windows. The city was a vast, intricate machine of control, and I was a flawed component, a bug in the system.
They wanted to make Jewish life visible. They wanted to put it in a museum, in a festival, in a database. They wanted to define it, to own it, to control it.
But what they didn't know was that I was the ghost in their machine. A lie that, if exposed, would shatter their perfect, categorized world. I was a living, breathing contradiction they couldn't audit. I was a Palestinian who had to be more Jewish than the Germans wanted any Jew to be, just to survive.
"Abraham?" Maria whispered, her small face buried in my shoulder. "Are we going away?"
I looked out the window at the neon-lit prison of Berlin-Dahlem. The Stolpersteine outside our door glinted under the streetlights, little brass squares that felt less like memorials and more like the keys to a machine I didn't know how to stop.
"No," I lied, my voice a dry rasp. "We're not going anywhere."
And in the darkest corner of my shadow life, I realized the terrible truth. The joke was on me. I was the punchline. A non-Jew forced to embody a caricature of Jewishness for a state that wanted to perfect its own ethnic cleansing. I was the ultimate "visible Jewish life."
The rain fell. The chips ticked. And somewhere, a handle named Dshermanzzz was probably laughing.
The knock came again. Not Elias's soft chime, but a frantic, arrhythmic pounding that spoke of desperation or violence. My hand closed around the taser. Maria whimpered, and I pressed her behind me, my body a shield between her and the door.
"Öffne! Bitte, öffne!" The voice was muffled, distorted by the armored door. But there was something in the cadence, the raw panic, that didn't sound like the cold efficiency of the Heritage Shield patrols.
I cracked the door, just a sliver. The chain held.
A man stood in the toxic sleet, his clothes soaked through, a battered leather jacket that had seen better decades clinging to his frame. He was maybe forty, with the weathered face of someone who'd spent too much time outdoors and not enough time in the sanitized zones. His eyes were wild, darting, and behind him, I could see a rusted-out Opel, its hydrogen cell obviously dead, parked crookedly on the restricted lane.
"Bitte," he gasped, his breath fogging in the cold. "Ich... ich brauche... Hilfe."
The words were German, but they emerged from his mouth like gravel tumbling down a mountainside. The vowels were stretched into strange, alien shapes. The consonants were swallowed whole. It was like listening to a language I theoretically knew but couldn't parse.
"I... don't..." I started.
He seemed to realize my confusion. He took a breath, visibly forcing his jaw to work differently, his tongue to cooperate. When he spoke again, it was with the slow, deliberate precision of a man reading a phonetic script.
"I. Am. From. Stuttgart," he said, each word a separate, articulated island. "My. Fuel. Cell. Is. Dead. I. Have. No. Credits."
I stared at him. Stuttgart. The Schwabenland. The dialect there was legendary, a source of jokes even before the collapse. But this was something else. This was a man whose native tongue had become a prison, isolating him from everyone around him.
"Wait," I said, my own German crisp and Berlin-flat. "You ran out of fuel?"
"Ja," he said, relief flooding his face. "Ja. Ich... I. Ran. Out. Of. Fuel. And. Money."
He reached into his jacket, and I tensed, the taser ready. But he pulled out something wrapped in crinkled plastic. Sandwiches. A stack of them, pressed together, the cheap, mass-produced kind from a discount supermarket. The plastic was fogged with condensation.
"I. Stole. Them," he said, with a strange, almost proud defiance. "From. The. Aldi. In. Steglitz. They. Were. Going. To. Throw. Them. Away."
He held them out, an offering. A peace treaty. A confession.
Maria peeked out from behind my leg, her eyes wide. The smell of the sandwiches—processed cheese, synthetic ham, cheap bread—wafted through the crack in the door. My stomach, empty for two days, twisted with a hunger that was almost painful.
"You. Have. A. Child," the man said, his slow, articulated words softening. "She. Needs. To. Eat."
I looked at him. Really looked. His hands were calloused, working man's hands, but they trembled. His eyes, beneath the wildness, held a deep, abiding exhaustion. He was a ghost, too, I realized. A different kind of ghost. A man from a place that no longer mattered, speaking a language that no longer connected, drifting through a city that had no place for him.
"What's your name?" I asked.
"Klaus," he said. "Klaus. From. Stuttgart."
I unchained the door and let him in.
---
He sat on the floor, his back against the wall, demolishing his third sandwich with the mechanical efficiency of someone who hadn't eaten in days. Maria sat across from him, nibbling her own, watching him with the wary curiosity of a child who had learned that adults were unpredictable.
Klaus spoke slowly, painstakingly, his words stripped of their natural rhythm and rebuilt into something universally understandable. It was like listening to a machine attempting poetry.
"I. Was. A. Mechanic," he said. "In. Stuttgart. I. Fixed. Hydrogen. Cells. For. The. Daimler. Factory."
"What happened?" I asked.
He shrugged, a gesture that needed no translation. "The. Factory. Closed. Moved. To. The. Colonies. Mars. Or. The. Moon. I. Don't. Know. They. Didn't. Say. Where. Just. That. We. Were. Redundant."
He took another bite, chewed slowly, swallowed. "I. Came. To. Berlin. For. Work. The. Reconstruction. Projects. But. There. Is. No. Work. For. Someone. Who. Speaks. Like. Me. They. Say. I. Sound. Like. A. Farmer. From. The. Last. Century."
I knew what he meant. The new Berlin was a city of polished surfaces, of standardized interfaces, of voices trained to be pleasant and interchangeable. Klaus's dialect was a relic, a piece of the old Germany that the new one had decided to forget. He was an anomaly, a living fossil, a man out of time and place.
"The. Heritage. Shield. Stopped. Me," he continued. "They. Said. My. Car. Was. Not. Registered. In. The. System. They. Said. I. Looked. Suspicious. They. Took. My. Papers. My. Credits. Everything. I. Ran. Before. They. Could. Take. Me."
"Ran where?" I asked.
"Anywhere," he said, and for a moment, the careful articulation cracked, a raw Schwäbisch vowel bleeding through. "I. Just. Ran."
Maria finished her sandwich and crept closer to him, her fear giving way to something else. She reached out and touched his jacket, the worn leather, the rain-soaked fabric.
"You're wet," she said, in her small, rusty Polish.
Klaus looked at her, and for the first time since he'd arrived, something like warmth entered his eyes. He didn't understand her words, but he understood the gesture. The small, tentative hand on his sleeve.
"I. Am. Wet," he agreed, slowly. "But. The. Sandwiches. Are. Dry."
Maria giggled. It was a sound I hadn't heard in weeks, a tiny crack of light in the darkness of our shadow life.
I leaned back against the wall, watching them. A Palestinian refugee playing a Jew. A Polish girl mistaken for something she wasn't. A Schwäbian mechanic who spoke like a broken machine. We were a collection of errors, a glitch in the system, a statistical anomaly that the auditors would never anticipate.
And outside, the rain kept falling, the drones kept humming, and the Heritage Shield kept watching. But in that basement, for one brief, fragile moment, we were something else. We were a family. A family of ghosts, bound together by stolen sandwiches and the simple, radical act of sharing them.
"The. Sandwiches. Are. Good," Klaus said, finishing the last one. "But. Tomorrow. We. Need. A. Plan. To. Get. More."
I nodded. Tomorrow. There was always a tomorrow, even in a world designed to erase you. And maybe, just maybe, we could survive it together.
"Tomorrow," I agreed. "We'll figure something out."
Maria crawled into my lap, her small body warm against mine. Klaus closed his eyes, his breathing evening out, the tension of days finally releasing from his shoulders.
The rain fell. The chips ticked. And somewhere, a handle named Dshermanzzz was probably still laughing.
But in the basement, in the dark, we were learning to laugh back.
We walked. Three ghosts through the neon-lit necropolis, our footsteps echoing on the wet synth-cobblestone like a funeral procession for a corpse that hadn't stopped twitching. Klaus moved with the stiff, careful gait of a man whose joints had forgotten how to be young. Maria held my hand, her small fingers cold and tight, her eyes scanning the shadows with the hyper-vigilance of a child who had learned that safety was a lie adults told to make themselves feel better.
The streets of Dahlem were quiet, but not the quiet of peace. It was the quiet of held breath, of predators waiting, of systems humming in the dark. The Heritage Shield drones had retreated to their charging stations, but their absence was worse than their presence. It meant the night belonged to someone else now.
We turned a corner, into a narrow alley between two crumbling apartment blocks. The kind of alley that existed in the gaps between the official maps, the spaces the city planners had forgotten or chosen to forget. The walls were slick with moisture and old graffiti, the tags of forgotten crews who had once claimed this territory before the new order had swept them away.
And then we saw them.
Five of them. Skateboarders, their boards leaning against the walls, their bodies moving with a frenetic, almost choreographed energy. They were young, teenagers or early twenties, dressed in the ragged uniform of the dispossessed—ripped jeans, oversized hoodies, masks pulled up over their faces. Their boards were custom, brutal things, reinforced with metal edges and jagged grip tape.
And beneath them, on the ground, were two men.
Police. Heritage Shield. Their uniforms were still recognizable, though barely. The dark blue fabric was soaked through, not with rain, but with something thicker, darker. Their faces were... not faces anymore. Just wet, red abstract paintings, the kind that sold for millions in galleries while the artists starved in the streets.
The skateboarders were still going.
One of them, a girl with short-cropped hair and a mask painted with a grinning skull, brought her board down again and again, the metal edge catching the dim light as it rose and fell. Rise and fell. Rise and fell. Each impact sent a spray of crimson arcing through the air, splattering against the alley walls, dripping down like rain made of blood. The sound was wet, rhythmic, almost musical. A percussion of violence.
The others were laughing.
Not the laughter of joy, but something else. Something primal, unhinged, the laughter of people who had seen too much and had decided that the only appropriate response was to become the horror themselves. They stomped, they kicked, they slammed their boards down with the enthusiasm of children playing a game they didn't fully understand.
The two policemen had been dead for a while. That much was clear. Their bodies had the slack, boneless quality of meat that had stopped being people. But the skateboarders didn't stop. They kept going, kept beating, kept splattering, as if they were trying to erase the very concept of police from existence, one impact at a time.
Klaus stopped walking. His face, already pale from the cold and hunger, went the color of old bone. Maria pressed herself against my leg, her small body trembling, but she didn't look away. She watched with the terrible, unblinking focus of a child who had already learned that looking away didn't make the monsters disappear.
I wanted to run. Every instinct screamed at me to grab Maria, to pull Klaus, to flee back the way we came. But my feet were rooted to the ground, my body refusing to obey. I was a ghost, but ghosts couldn't run from the living.
One of the skateboarders noticed us.
He was tall, lanky, his hoodie stained with something that wasn't his own. His mask was a simple black balaclava, pulled up to reveal a mouth twisted into a grin that didn't reach his eyes. He looked at us—at me, at Klaus, at Maria—and something flickered in his gaze. Recognition? Curiosity? Amusement?
He walked over, his board dragging behind him, leaving a trail of red on the wet ground. He stopped in front of us, close enough that I could smell the copper and sweat radiating from him, close enough that I could see the flecks of blood on his eyelashes.
"Hey," he said, his voice casual, almost friendly. "You want some shoes?"
He held up a pair of police-issue boots. They were still laced, still attached to... no. Not attached. He had removed them. Cleanly. The boots were intact, the leather polished, the soles thick and practical. They were good shoes. Expensive shoes. The kind of shoes that could keep your feet dry in the toxic rain, that could carry you for miles without wearing out.
"Got them off the pigs," the skateboarder continued, his grin widening. "They don't need them anymore. You look like you could use them. The kid too."
He gestured at Maria, at her thin, worn sneakers, the soles peeling away from the fabric.
I looked at the shoes. I looked at the bodies. I looked at the skateboarders, who had finally stopped their rhythmic desecration and were now watching us with the lazy interest of predators who had already eaten their fill.
"No," I said. My voice was a stranger's voice, flat and distant. "We're good."
The skateboarder shrugged. "Suit yourself." He tossed the boots over his shoulder, where they landed with a wet thud against the alley wall. "Waste not, want not."
He turned and walked back to his crew, his board scraping against the ground, the sound like nails on a chalkboard. The others were already picking up their boards, preparing to move on. Their work here was done. The alley was a canvas, and they had painted it red.
We walked past them. Past the bodies. Past the blood. Maria's hand was a vice around mine, her face buried in my jacket, but she didn't cry. She had learned not to cry. Klaus followed behind, his footsteps slow, deliberate, his breath coming in ragged gasps.
The alley opened onto a wider street, and the neon glow of the city washed over us, clean and sterile and utterly indifferent. Behind us, the skateboarders were already disappearing into the shadows, their laughter echoing off the walls, a sound that would haunt my dreams for whatever remained of my life.
Klaus spoke first. His voice was still slow, still articulated, but there was something new in it. Something hollow.
"They. Were. Already. Dead," he said.
"Yes," I replied.
"And. They. Kept. Going."
"Yes."
He was silent for a moment, processing. Then he said, "I. Guess. We. All. Deal. Differently. With. The. Situation."
The words hung in the air, a simple statement that contained multitudes. The situation. The occupation. The surveillance. The violence. The slow, grinding erasure of everything that made us human. The skateboarders dealt with it by becoming monsters. Klaus dealt with it by speaking slowly, by making himself understood, by clinging to the fragments of his identity. Maria dealt with it by holding my hand and not crying. I dealt with it by wearing a mask so complete that I had forgotten what my real face looked like.
We all dealt differently.
But the situation remained.
The rain started again, a soft, insidious drizzle that tasted of chemicals and despair. Maria looked up at me, her eyes red-rimmed but dry.
"Abraham," she said, her voice a whisper. "Are we monsters too?"
I didn't have an answer. I didn't know if there was an answer. I only knew that we were still walking, still breathing, still alive. And in a world that wanted us dead, that was a kind of victory.
"No," I said, the lie tasting like ash in my mouth. "We're just people. Trying to survive."
She nodded, accepting the lie the way children accepted all lies, because the truth was too heavy to carry.
We walked on, three ghosts in a city of ghosts, leaving the alley and its red memories behind. The neon hummed. The drones watched. The chips ticked.
And somewhere, in the dark, a handle named Dshermanzzz was still laughing.
But we were learning to laugh back. Even if the laughter sounded like screaming.