Wednesday, 7 October 2026

... in close potential future ...

Incorporated with DeepSeek

**Part I: The Ledger and the Lobotomy**

The Manhattan skyline didn't glitter; it *bled* neon into the perpetual twilight. From the penthouse of the AresMacro-Arcology, the city was just a circuit board, and I, Julian Croft, was the only component that mattered. My father, a man whose smile could sell you your own kidneys back at a 400% markup, called the new federal stipend a "masterstroke of social pacification." A thousand nuyen, deposited at birth, untouchable until eighteen, locked into the market.

A thousand. It was the cost of my morning espresso and a tip for the server who brought it. It was a joke.

I watched the numbers dance on my wall-screen, a ballet of corporate acquisitions and hostile takeovers. The "Future Fund," they called it. A seed of capital for every mewling infant in the sprawl. I saw it for what it was: a digital leash. They give you a taste of the matrix, a single share of a conglomerate, and you spend the rest of your life chasing that initial high, a debt-slave to the very system that tossed you a crust. They give you a lottery ticket and tell you it's a birthright. The sheer, breathtaking cynicism of it was almost beautiful. A billion little piggy banks, all plugged directly into the corporate grid. You don't own the stock; the stock owns you. It was the most elegant con in human history, and they were selling it as patriotism.

**Part II: The Meat and the Muck**

The rain in the Barrens didn't fall; it curdled. It was a chemical slurry that ate through cheap synth-leather and made the air taste of ozone and rust. In our cramped flat, the "Future Fund" notification was just another glitch on a cracked 'trode deck. A thousand nuyen. For a kid like me, it wasn't a seed. It was a taunt.

My old man, when he was sober enough to remember my name, called it "blood money." He'd seen what the corps did to the world, how they bled the streets dry to feed the golden spires. A thousand nuyen would buy you a month of soy-paste and clean water, or maybe a decent used cyber-arm. It wouldn't buy you out of the Barrens. It wouldn't buy you a future. It just gave you a number, a little digital collar around your neck. A reason for the system to keep tabs on you. So when the recruiter came, with his shiny boots and his promises of a steady paycheck, a chance to "see the world" and "serve your country," I signed. Not for the flag. Not for the corps. I signed for the combat pay and the chance to get my hands on some real gear. The thousand nuyen? I cashed it out the day I turned eighteen and spent it on a one-way ticket to a training camp that promised to turn my meat into a weapon. It was the only way to beat the system. To become a bigger, meaner part of it.

**Part III: The Debt and the Dancer**

Las Vegas. The Free City. A glittering sore on the face of the Mojave, a monument to everything that was wrong and everything that was profitable. The air in the Bellagio's high-roller suite was recycled, chilled, and tasted of expensive desperation.

I was thirty. My suit cost more than a corporate wage-slave's annual salary, and my augments were top-tier bleeding-edge tech from a subsidiary I owned. I was here to acquire a small, independent data-brokering firm. A hostile takeover, the kind my father would have appreciated.

The door to the suite opened, and my head of security, a silent troll named Krug, ushered in the final candidate for the "negotiation." He was my age, maybe a little older. His body was a roadmap of bad decisions and cheap patching—a scarred, mil-spec cyber-arm, dull and utilitarian, hung from his left shoulder. His eyes were the flat, dead grey of a shark. He wore a rented, ill-fitting suit that couldn't hide the coiled violence in his frame. He was a merc. A deniable asset. The kind you hired when you wanted a problem to simply… vanish.

He stopped in the center of the room, his gaze sweeping over the opulent décor before settling on me. There was no awe in his eyes. No fear. Just a cold, professional assessment.

"You Croft?" His voice was a low gravelly rasp, the sound of a man who'd spent years breathing dust and cordite.

I gave him a thin, practiced smile. "I am. And you are?"

"Just a contractor," he said. "You need a ghost. I'm your ghost."

I gestured to the wet bar. "Drink?"

"No."

"A man of simple tastes." I picked up a crystal tumbler of hundred-year-old scotch. "I was just thinking. About the old days. You remember that 'Future Fund' scam the government ran? A thousand nuyen for every sprat born in the UCAS."

The merc's expression didn't change, but I saw a muscle in his jaw tighten. "What about it?"

"I was just a kid. I remember thinking how pathetic it was. A cheap trick. A thousand nuyen. I probably spent that on a single bottle of wine that year. It was a joke. A bone for the masses to fight over."

The merc took a step closer. The air in the room grew heavy. "A joke," he repeated, the word flat and dead. "You know what a thousand nuyen bought me? It bought me this." He tapped his cheap, scarred cyber-arm with a knuckle. It made a hollow *thunk*. "It bought me a way out. A way to become something other than chum for the gangs or a lab-rat for the corps. It bought me a rifle and a ticket to the one place where a man's life is only worth his kill-count. Your joke," he said, his eyes boring into mine, "was my first and only step up. It was the down payment on the tool that's standing in front of you right now."

He glanced at my own hand, at the subtle, high-grade chrome of my perfectly manicured fingers. He saw the corporate logos, the casual wealth, the entire gilded cage of my existence.

"You call it a scam," the soldier said, his voice dropping to a near-whisper. "We both took the money. But I paid for it with the only thing I ever owned. My own skin." He looked around the suite, at the glittering, hollow luxury. "And now here we are. You're buying the city. I'm the one you call to clean up the mess. So, who's the joke on, Croft? You? Or me?"

He didn't wait for an answer. He just stood there, a monument to a promise long forgotten, the interest on his thousand dollars standing in a Las Vegas suite, more real and more dangerous than any stock certificate I had ever seen. The blood-price was the only interest that ever paid out.